Friday, February 10, 2017

Cuberrush : ARTWAR

Over the past month , I decided to join the character design competition held by the website : Cuberbrush. Our brief for the 2D section was, choosing either a theme of sci-fi or fantasy , create a hero design, showing front and back and then from that create an piece of illustration depicting him/her in a scene. If Im honest with myself I joined mostly for the grand prize of a wacom cintiq and 1000$, but at the end of it , I had lots of great experience, as well as a chance to see so many other talented artists and their works while also having major improvements of my own. This brief is interesting as its very much like a Visual language brief I would get here in uni, where you have to shows some evidence of design development like rough sketch and character sheets. And by having people do this, I managed to catch some glimpse of the techniques used by other artists in their process, especially this technique of blocking out shapes and overall silhouettes as the first step of designing the character - its a fast and very creative way of building as it doesnt limit character ideas to lines already, meaning you can experiment more. As for myself , I stuck to my anime roots , designing a character that is very much a portrayal of Japanese aesthetic : a futuristic samurai - balancing the future with tradition ,much like the country itself. I used lots of reference : particularly actual samurai armour and the Raiden character from Metal gear rising. For the painting technique itself, this was a major improvement for me in terms of level of detail and background work . Overall Im really happy with the final product and the experience overall. Finger crossed for that prize !

https://forums.cubebrush.co/t/art-war-2d-yuuji-takeda-dishwasher1910/2622/6


 


character sheet


 Final illustration





No comments:

Post a Comment