Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Manchester Animation festival : Day 1

Fist day of MAF consists mostly of sitting in the cinema watching short animated features , with the exception of Phantom boy by studio folimage being a full one-hour and a half feature. Many among these groups of films have very very weird plot points , some even borderline absurd ( The Inverted Peak , my god its like an alien brain-washing video or something ). However the one that interested me the most was :

 
           Jonas and the sea          
          
        Of Shadows and Wings

  
      Rapsodies en Roses    

 
                                                                     Phantom boy

These selections really highlight my main interest in 2D animation as oppose to the rest of them. However , while the latter 3 are all traditional 2D , Jonas and the sea are animated in a very interesting way .It is 2D animated just to put it out there, but it is done so in a way that it almost look like it was a paper-cut-out type of animation , having parts of the character moves along certain hinges, which is a theme that is repeated in alot of the shorts - mixing different type of animations with each other, for examples : in the short "Birds" , the characters and background are CGI 3D , but they have a 2D layer put over them ( which is a technique that is very close to my heart as it is used widely in modern anime ), while in the short "Cold coffee", we see the character animated over backgrounds that are real-life photographs and videos ( not to mention it is set in good old Vietnam with her sights and sound , home sweet home, although the story itself is pretty twisted ). Which brings me to another point, although there's probably a deeper meaning behind all of it , I just don't get the point making animated shorts that have weird subjects of plot , like man-birds or repeating "who's in control" 23 times. Drawing from my own leanings toward "practicality" in animation , I enjoy animations that have a clear narrative , an face-value meaning if you will , with an underlying meaning behind it, like the 4 choices I listed above. I don't like animations who tries being to "out there" and unconventional , which at times to me make them seem like they're just weird for the sake of being weird ( which happens alot , especially in "short" films nowadays ) . It is the same reason why I don't like modern art , I just don't get it.

Going back to the 4 choices though , I have to say Phantom boy would be the highlight of today. Before the showing itself , I got a chance to get behind the production of it first , through Mr Paul Wells ( the man the myth the legend ) and a sound designer from Fomilage whose French name I couldn't pronounce or remember. The masterclass touches on sound designing in Phantom boy and other Folimage productions , which , although its not my area of interest , is still very interesting to hear , especially about the part where he breaks the "sounds" of the film , into dialog , music , sound effects and ambient sound, and the part about how music can be so effective on conveying emotions that it spoils and force the audience to feel a particular way. Phantom boy itself was very cool. If there is anything that I could touch on , is that the style of the character make them shows very limited changes in emotions , and that the pacing of the plot in the beginning seems very rushed .

No comments:

Post a Comment