Saturday, February 23, 2019

Study task III - professional meeting : James Chapman

I had the lovely opportunity to attend a talk by James Chapman, an freelance illustrator currently working for Brown Box animation.




What set him apart from other professional I've is how similar my own path and thinking is mirroring his, considering the fact that I'm also working freelance and have acquire my own wealth of knowledge about it. The difference between us then was that he was primarily a comic artist and his business thereby is more physical-based ( selling comic books, art, etc) which is a more traditional method, whereas I'm pretty much all digital and illustration focus, and follow the paid-subscription model of Patreon. That being said, his core advices about the pros and cons of working freelance all speak to me dearly, especially the quote below, on which I have built my entire philosophy on working. And of course, seeing your ideas being shared by successful people, will always give you a massive boost in confidence


His story on how he got his current position at Brown Box ( by meeting the art director at an event that was recommended by some one else) also encouraged to take an more active approach in order to achieve similar results.

Other than that , James was an absolute chilled and funny guy, and it certainly translated really well in the works that he showed us !! A very good meeting indeed !








No comments:

Post a Comment